Monday, September 13
- It’s Safety Week! Over the course of the week we will be practicing our various safety procedures. Today we brush up on our Fire Drill skills (students will practice how to safely and calmly leave the building and gather in their designated area outside).
Tuesday, September 14
- As part of Safety Week, we will be going over Lock Down procedures (students will be secured in their classrooms). The RCMP will be here to assist with this procedure.
Wednesday, September 15
- We will practice our Reverse Evacuation (bringing everyone inside the building) as well as Bus Evacuation
Thursday, September 16
- Today is Hold & Secure practice (all outside doors are locked, classes will proceed as normal)
Friday, September 17
- We will wrap up safety week with another Fire Drill.
Save the Date:
- September 23 – We are so happy to be able to get back to our traditional Terry Fox Run and encourage parents, grandparents, and siblings to join us for the afternoon as we run and walk to Dunnet Park.
- September 27-30 – Mrs. Duncan will be hosting Scholastic Book Fair. Stay tuned for details!
- September 27 – Fall Fair is back! We hope all families can join us from 5:00 – 7:00 to check out our displays, play some games and enjoy a meal with us! Details will be coming home shortly.
- September 30 – Our school will be recognizing Orange Shirt Day. As part of Call to Action 63, iii “Building student capacity for intercultural understanding, empathy, and mutual respect” we will be having an assembly to recognize the history and importance of the day. All students will be given an Every Child Matters t-shirt.
Other items of interest:
- Good luck to our golfers who are taking part in Golf Sections today. Winners will move on to District Golf next weekend.
- Our Family Tree is a popular attraction for our students, and we would like to get it updated so all students can find themselves on the wall. If you are new to our school or didn’t get around to sending one last year, we would love to have a family picture. Please scan and send to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a picture to school which I can scan and return to you.
- Our volleyball teams are up and running, and we look forward to a great season! This year our senior students are very fortunate to be able to partner with Rouleau School. It should be a wonderful experience for both of our schools. We encourage everyone to come out and cheer on our teams as they celebrate the opportunity to play sports again!
- Ms. Smid has nine young ladies sign up for Senior Girls, and we are happy to welcome three Rouleau students to join the team.
- We have two senior boys who will be joining up with Rouleau’s Senior Boys under the leadership of Mr. Singleton.
- Mr. Leonard’s Bantam Boys are excited to hit the court.
- Mrs. Earl (and Mrs. Eberle once she’s mobile) will be coaching our Bantam Girls this year.
- Want to keep up with Avonlea School sports? Check out this link to our comprehensive live sports calendar Avonlea School Sports
- Our Milk Program will be up and running on Monday, September 13. Chocolate and white milk will be sold every day at lunch out of the Foods Lab. Student can purchase $20 Milk Cards from the office or by using a School Cash account.
- Remember to follow Avonlea School on Facebook and Twitter. We also have our new website up and running – check it out! Avonlea School website
- Grade 1 – 12 parents: Student Information Verification Forms are being sent home today . Please take a look at the information we currently have on file for your child(ren) and have the forms returned to the office only if there are any changes to student information.
- If you do not already have a School Cash account set up, you will want to do so as soon as possible. We are working to become as close to cashless as possible within the next few months. School Cash is quick and easy to set up and use. See the attached School Cash poster for set up instructions. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.